How It Happened:
- The Woods trailed Eureka College 2-0 until Aaron Garcia scored on an assist by Ngun Liana at the 41-minute mark
- EC notched one more score and led 3-1 as both teams entered halftime
- Ngun Lian and Marcos Hernandez tallied goals in the second period at the 47 and 56-minute mark
- After which, the Red Devils regained the lead on a goal by James Bowen
- Jordan Favre "Mr. Clutch", found the back of the net to tie the game 4-4; Lian was accredited with the assist
- In overtime, Aaron Garcia knocked in the game-winner on Lian's third assist of the night
Head Nod Performances
- Aaron Garcia notched two goals; including the game-winner
- Ngun Lian scored one goal and tallied three assists in the Pomeroy victory
- Jordan Favre netted a crucial goal to push the game into overtime
- Marcos Hernandez concluded the match with unassisted goals
- Andrew Aceituno finished the contest with two saves and his first win as an SMWC goalie
Head Coach Abe Tizaf stated, "The game wasn't easy, coming back from a 3-1 deficit and turning it into a 5-4 win was the best thing that could happen to these young player's. This is our teams first victory and I am glad to see them finally play in harmony."
Captain Elias Ramsey said, "Getting the first win in school history was an incredible feeling. As soon as we scored the golden goal in extra time we all went crazy and while celebrating we really felt like a family. We had been struggling to put together the pieces that make our team click but last night we stood together and made it work." Ramsey on the celebration after the game and bus ride home, "The bus ride home was filled with loud music and singing the entire ride. Everybody had smiles on their faces."
SMWC will host Grace Bible College on Monday, September 24th at 4:00 p.m. EST and will travel to Harris Stowe State University on Thursday, September 27th at 3:00 p.m. EST.
DOWNLOAD TEAM SCHEDULES | Download Center
TAG US | @SMWCAthletics