SAINT MARY OF THE WOODS, Ind. – The Saint Mary-of-the-Woods College (SMWC) men's soccer team hosted the Cincinnati Christian University Eagles today and came away with their 3rd win in-a-row. The Pomeroys (3-0) played physical all day and were able to hold the Eagles (2-2) to limited scoring opportunities with their stifling play.
- CCU's Steven Bliemer, assist Leo Anthony, opened the scoring with a shot in the 7th minute
- Edson Alvarado, assist Victor Villagomez, responded with an equalizer in the 10th minute
- Luis Botello, assist Omar Abdallah Nabilsi, brought the Pomeroys out front with a shot in the 25th minute
By the Numbers
- Cincinnati Christian's goal was the first allowed by SMWC all season
- Edson's goal gave him the team lead with 3
- The Pomeroy's now own a +11 goal differential on the season
Quote | Abe Tizaf
How do you feel your team fared today and what improvements do you see needed in the future?
"Honestly the first half was a little bit rough. Even the first 10 minutes was against the gameplan we put before we started, but I think the guys put in a lot of effort to tie them and then score the [winning goal] which I really appreciate that…We still have more work to do tactically than anything else. There are times where we don't know where to move or where to stand…Congrats to the players but we will move on."
Quote | Omar Abdallah Nabilsi
How does it feel to move to 3-0 on the season when you come out and play well like you guys did today?
"It's just one more game that we have to take because we have another 14 games left this season. Our record right now stands at "3-14" so we haven't accomplished anything yet. It was a good team performance and coach has a [good] gameplan that we executed it to perfect and move on."
The men's team travels to Great Lakes Christian College (0-3) in Lansing, Michigan on Tuesday, September 10th. Kickoff is at 4:00 P.M. ET.
Subscribe/Download Team Schedules: Download Center