EUREKA, Ill. – The Pomeroy Women's Soccer Team recorded their first win of the season in spectacular fashion, defeating Eureka College 7-0 and moving to 1-2 on the season. The squad scored early and often as they were led by Sophomores Alexis Pflum and Carra Matherly.
- Alexis Pflum netted the first goal of the night (10:41) quickly followed by Carra Matherly (12:39)
- Carra recorded her 2nd goal of the night in the 31st minute, with Ashley Jezik bringing the score to 4-0 in the 36th.
- Senior Mannah Mace continued the onslaught with a 59th-minute goal only to have the scoring continue by Alexis Pflum (assisted by Lanee Andrews) just 25 seconds later.
- Sophomore Shelby Joy wrapped up the night with a goal in the 66th minute (assisted by Lanee Andrews) before the Pomeroys rode out the clock.
By the Numbers
- Freshman Lanee Andrew took an impressive 16 shots, 8 on goal
- Keeper Megan Benefiel enjoyed a slower night with 1 save on 1 shot and 0 goals allowed
- Alexis Pflum now has 3 goals in as many games this season
- Lanee Andrew owns 19 shots, 10 on goal, this season
Quote | Head Coach Craig Hendry
"We played quite well at times but we need to learn to be patient and make better decisions. There were occasions in the first half when we tried to force it through, rather than shifting it to the other side. We did better on this in the second half. All in all, we had decent performances all over the field today."
The Woods squad has a few days off before traveling to play Jefferson College (1-1) on September 8th at 1:00 P.M. EST.
Subscribe/Download Team Schedules: Download Center