SAINT MARY OF THE WOODS, Ind. – The Saint Mary-of-the-Woods College (SMWC) women's volleyball team (4-9) fell to Missouri Baptist University (15-3) tonight 3 games to 0. The final score doesn't accurately tell the story of the game, however, as the Pomeroys kept all three sets close, even leading for much of the third set.
- Set 1: The Woods kept the set close in surprising fashion with strong play from setter Katelyn Cotter. Mandi Alspach, Alexis Woodburn, and Jaelyn Fennell kept up a nice offensive attack, but Missouri Baptist won the set 25-20.
- Set 2: SMWC continued to fight hard and even made things close at one point with big contributions from Mandi Alspach and Jaelyn Fennell. Missouri Baptist came away with the win in set two 25-19.
- Set 3: The Pomeroys had their closest set of the night as they kept Missouri Baptist tied most of the way and led right near the end. A couple of huge plays, including a fireball attack from Alexis late in the set and a perfect serve from Riley Kinney, kept the Poms alive. SMWC eventually fell to the Spartans 26-24 off a few SMWC errors.
By the Numbers
- Mandi Alspach led the team in kills with 9, Katelyn Cotter in assists with 21, and Pamela Dorman in digs with 11.
- Only 24 of the Pomeroys 63 points were off kills, with the other 39 points coming from Spartan errors.
- Saint Mary-of-the-Woods is 0-4 all-time against Missouri Baptist.
- The Pomeroy's 63 points were the most against Missouri Baptist in SMWC school history.
The women's volleyball team is back in action when they travel to Anderson University on Wednesday, September 25th. First serve is set for 7:00 p.m. ET at O.C. Lewis Gymnasium.
Subscribe/Download Team Schedules: Download Center