SAINT MARY-OF-THE-WOODS, Ind. – The Saint Mary-of-the-Woods (SMWC) volleyball team (4-11) lost to Illinois Tech (3-7) this evening, falling 3 games to 2. The Pomeroys were locked in a tight contest for most of the night before running out of steam in the final two sets. SMWC had no shortage of offensive firepower, but a few mistakes eventually cost SMWC as they dropped 3 straight sets.
- Set 1: The Woods displayed strong fundamentals and offensive weaponry as they jumped out to a 5-1 lead. The Hawks scored 5 and 6 unanswered points through the set to keep things close before some huge kills by Mandi, Jaelyn, and Alexis put the set away.
- Set 2: SMWC found itself locked again but 4 kills in the set by Riley Kinney and 5 kills from Alexis Woodburn helped the Pomeroys escape with a win to go up 2-0.
- Set 3: The Pomeroys started to look outmatched as Illinois Tech displayed much tighter play through the third set. A few calls that didn't go SMWC's way made a difference, but 7 kills from Illinois Tech's Sara Hassell were too much for the Woods to handle as they drop set three 28-26.
- Set 4: SMWC's fatigue really started to set in and a few more key calls that went the Hawks way helped to pave the way for a 21-25 set 4 loss for SMWC.
- Set 5: The Pomeroys couldn't pull out the win as they fell behind early. A small rally right near the end of the set wasn't enough as the Poms fell 15-10.
By the Numbers
- SMWC had four players with double-digit kills on the evening; Riley Kinney (13), Mandi Alspach (13), Jaelyn Fennell (11), and Alexis Woodburn (16).
- Mandi Alspach leads all players with 119 kills on the season, followed closely by Alexis Woodburn (117) and Riley Kinney (111).
- Pamela Dorman and Katelyn Cotter continue to display impressive fundamentals with their 252 digs and 412 assists, respectively.
- The Pomeroy's 4-11 record is their worst 15 game start since 2016-17 and their first loss to Illinois Tech since that season.
The team will look to get back on track at home against the Crimson Wave of Calumet College of St. Joseph tomorrow, September 28th. First serve is set for 2:00 p.m. ET.
Subscribe/Download Team Schedules: Download Center