WHITING, Ind. – The Saint Mary-of-the-Woods (SMWC) volleyball team (9-14) traveled to take on Calumet College of St. Joseph (2-17), sweeping the Crimson Wave (25-16, 25-9, 25-17) to earn their 4th win in their past 5 matches. The Woods showed their offensive and defensive prowess throughout as they held Calumet College of St. Joseph to just 42 total points. The Woods hopes to use the momentum of their past 5 matches to help propel them towards a 4th straight National Championship appearance.
- Set 1: The Woods got out to a strong lead, winning the first 6 points and even going ahead 22-12 near the end of the set. Some simple errors appeared but a couple of strong kills by Riley Kinney put CCSJ away 25-16 to win set 1.
- Set 2: SMWC continued their dominance, exposing CCSJ and forcing them to commit costly errors early before going on the offensive. Three separate runs of five, six, and five kills helped propel SMWC to a dominating set two win as the Crimson Wave couldn't break double-digits, finished the set 25-9.
- Set 3: The Pomeroys continued the same story, different set, as errors continued to haunt CCSJ and strong play from Jaelyn Fennell and Mandi Alspach pushed them through an 8-2 run at the end of the set to win 25-17. The sweep of Calumet College of St. Joseph moves them to 9-14 on the season.
By the Numbers
- SMWC was led by Riley Kinney who tallied 10 kills on 22 attacks to post a .409 kill %.
- Mandi Alspach and Jaelyn Fennell added 10 and 8 kills of their own, respectively.
- Katelyn Cotter gave the Woods 34 assists and tacked on 2 kills of her own.
- Senior Meagan White posted impressive numbers herself with 5 kills, 15 attacks, 5 digs, and 1 block assist.
- The Pomeroys recorded a .263 hitting percentage and held CCSJ to just .094.
The Pomeroys continue their road trip over the next week when they travel to Gary, Indiana on Saturday, October 19th to play Indiana University-Northwest at 3:00 p.m. ET.
Photo Gallery |
Subscribe/Download Team Schedules: Download Center